Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Eyes Shut - Years & Years

Hello loves <3

     As I was studying for some tests today I shuffled my playlist on Spotify and the song "Eyes Shut" by Years & Years came on. One of my amazing friends recommended Years & Years to me, and I added 4 of their songs to my playlist, this one included. When I first listened to the group, "Real" became my favorite, but after today it has been replaced


    I didn't appreciate how amazing "Eyes Shut" really is until tonight. It's a song with so much emotion attached to it (yes, I'm listening to it on repeat right now). The piano introduction is heavenly, and the way the piano sounds align with the lyrics is just incredible. Olly Alexander, lead singer of Years & Years, is so talented it physically blows my mind. His voice is pretty much perfect.

     I was trying to explain this to my friends today: my favorite part of the song is the snapping in the background. None of them understood what I meant - I meant the physical snaps that they created with their fingers, lol. Anyway, what I recommend is to listen to the song with earbuds and the volume as high as you'd like (I prefer full blast...). The snaps just reach my ears and ripple through my entire body. That is what music is supposed to feel like. That is pure bliss.

    To me, the song means discovering who you are and becoming stronger. You know that you have the abilities to be who you want to be - and no one else's actions can affect your journey to do so. You can see through you eyes shut, you can see that people are trying to sabotage what you're trying to accomplish, but they're not going to get in your way.

    The 2 other members of the group, Mikey Goldsworthy and Emre Turkmen, play their instruments so beautifully and the sound produced when you put all three of them together is purely angelic.

So there's a specific version of the song that is my favorite because it really emphasizes the snapping (lol, I know I'm weird), so I'd listen to this one :)


     If you haven't listened to Years & Years I DEFINITELY recommend it. If you have, what's your favorite one of their songs? If you've listened to "Eyes Shut", what do you think is the meaning/connotation behind it?

     Thank you so much for reading and I'll talk to you soon.

*computer hug*

16 comments:

  1. I was looking for the real meaning behind this song on Google, because it is my favourite of the whole album. But I stumbled across your blog, and I'm so glad I did. I'm definitely following you from now on, keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kinga! I absolutely love Communion & Eyes Shut is probably in my top 3 favorites. Thank you for reading and commenting; that's so sweet of you <3 I am just about to go read some of your posts x

      Delete
  2. Being the music addict I am, thank you for showing me new music. I quite like them now. Lovely post and blog.

    xx
    C.R.
    http://crchamberlain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO glad! I also recommend their song "King" & the acoustic version of it especially - so good! Thank you for reading, I'm going to check out your blog now! x

      Delete
  3. My favourite song of Years and Years is Ready for you..its just amazing...Their entire album is gold...they don't even have one bad song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job putting your input into what this songs means to you, I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the translation meaning , at the first i just enjoy the melody without really knowing the meaning, after reading your explanation it all makes sense ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I ADORE this song too and is criminally underrated. There’s one thing I can’t get past though: if he can see through his eyes when they are shut, why not keep them open? I’m probably missing some deeper meaning... as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you help me with the notes of the song(do re mi]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most moving song I have heard in years - and I’m 45! Stumbled on this blog looking for the meaning myself because it just moved me so much. Love this band, thank you guys ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. It should be direct, attention-grabbing and easy to understand. This will all go a long way to keeping your visitors riveted once they have found themselves on your site! websites

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have loved this song since Coachella and never understood the lyrics until now... its about a traumatic memory he has suppressed in order to continue. nothings going to hurt me with my eyes shut, i can see through them. I am drawing pictures I'm evading, i will not use them again. Amazing song

    ReplyDelete
  11. The conclusion must include a summary of the major aspects of your essay, and you should also restate your thesis. Access college essay samples to see how others have created outlines for their essays. https://adamhuler.medium.com/what-is-the-best-essay-writing-service-on-reddit-f0f7832c99eb

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Expression

     I find it funny how it has taken me 40 minutes just to customize the template, choose the text colors, and search endlessly for a pict...