Saturday, July 18, 2015

Freshman Year (Part One)

Hello loves <3

     I know it's a bit too early to start writing school related posts, but I'm just gonna go with the flow. This year will be my first year in a high school; I am an incoming freshman. I don't know if all countries call each grade by a different name, but where I go to school the high school order is: freshman (9th), sophomore (10th), junior (11th), senior (12th).

     In the movies starring freshmen, they're always shoved into lockers, laughed at, and teased by seniors. I am the oldest in my family, I don't know if all this is true (hopefully I won't get pushed into a locker!).

    The past couple days I've been watching Freshman Advice videos on YouTube, trying to get a sense of what it's going to feel like being the one "new to high school". A lot of them were videos telling me things not to do - don't stop in the middle of the hallway, don't screw up your grades because it's really hard to get them back up, don't be obnoxious and try too hard to fit in, etc, etc. A couple said freshman year was challenging, but the least hard out of all 4 years. Some said freshman year went by in a heartbeat and was easy.

     It was fun to hear from people who have been through what I'm about to go through. It was interesting to see everyone's viewpoints and advice. These videos are getting me anxious and excited for high school at the same time.


     *straying off topic for a bit* The summers leading up to 7th and 8th grade were different than any other summer break I've had. The years previous I was always so excited to go back to school and was just WAITING and WAITING for the first day to come. I would lie around as days went by, "wasting" my time off school, doing nothing except wishing August 25th (or somewhere around then) would come faster.

     Then came middle school. My first year was great, but the two summers after that the feeling I'd had so often before was gone - it just wasn't there. I wasn't as excited to go to school. Yes, I did have my days where I was bored out of my mind and just wanted to get back into routine, but more often than not I was trying to push school out of my thoughts. The first day of 7th grade rolled around and hit me smack dab in the face. One minute I was sleeping in, the next I was up at 6:30 am.

     That feeling of not wanting to go back stayed...until now.

     *resume original topic* I know that my last post was all about making the most of your summer. But this year I just can't shake the feeling of wanting to go back to school. Wanting new experiences in high school. Wanting a new environment, different to the building I have been sitting in for 7 hours a day for 3 years straight.

     I guess I got so tired of middle school that high school just seems like a dreamland (Ok, yes, that sounds absolutely ridiculous, but my fingers are just typing away and I can't stop my brain from saying what it wants to say). That feeling will probably go away in the years to come, but I just want to think about right now - this very moment.

     Freshmen. The freshies. The new kids. The annoying ones (lol). Yes, upperclassmen may think of freshmen that way, but I am going to be one of those this year. And I am pumped. Pumped for new classes, new teachers, new hallways and lockers, new school supplies (hehe), new friends, new clubs, new schedule and routine, new me.

     Some might say that going to a new school doesn't change who you are, or it can't change who you are. I disagree. This year is a fresh start (Get it, FRESHman. Ok cringe). I'm not talking grade-wise. I mean, I'm a straight-A student. I'm talking about personally. I want this year to be the year that I love who I am and every aspect of me. I want to be more open to new things that the "old" me would've NEVER tried! I don't know if I've mentioned this in a previous post, but I signed up for theatre class - something I never would've thought of myself to do. But I want to explore new and different interests and the classes I take in school are a good place to start.

     That is my outlook on/thoughts about Freshman Year as an incoming/upcoming Freshman.

     I'm going to write this post again (hence the title, Part One) after Freshman year is over. I will be an upcoming Sophomore. Wait, that's actually a good idea. I could write two posts for each school year - before and after. Before as in what I think about my next year of school and after as in my experience, any advice and tips I have, and my thoughts about it overall. What do you think?


     If you have any high school or freshman experience stories, advice, and/or tips, leave me a comment! I'd LOVE to hear from you :)

     Thank you for reading and I'll talk to you soon.

*computer hug*

2 comments:

  1. Aaaahh thanks for explaining the grade names, I've been confused about that for a long time after hearing them be mentioned from American TV shows lol. You can tell you put a lot of effort into this post and it was great. You're gonna have an amazing time at highschool and I hope you enjoy it xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, you're welcome. And thank you very much! I hope so too ;)

      Delete

Featured Post

Expression

     I find it funny how it has taken me 40 minutes just to customize the template, choose the text colors, and search endlessly for a pict...