Monday, January 5, 2015

Movie Review: Into the Woods

Hello loves <3

     First day back at school today... Not much homework which is good, but I do have a test on Monday! Are you guys back in school or back to work? Anyway, that's not what this post is about ;)

     This past weekend I went to see the movie Into the Woods with my friend. I didn't really know what to expect. I only knew it was a bunch of Grimm fairytales mashed together into one story. Going into it, I was very excited! The trailers and previews looked amazing.


     I've never really done a review on anything before so I don't know how to go about this, but I want to start off by saying, overall, I thought the movie was great! But there definitely were some things that surprised me.

     The plot in the beginning was very interesting and cool! I won't give too much away, but basically a baker and his wife discover that a curse was put on the house they live in because the man's father stole many things from a witch's garden, including magic beans, and now the baker and his wife can't have a baby. The only way to break the curse is to gather the cow as white as milk, the cape as red as blood, the hair as yellow as corn, and the shoe as pure as gold. If they get those objects before the blue moon comes, which only happens every 100 years, in three days, the curse will be reversed.

     **spoilers** **LOTS of spoilers as I can't write a proper review**

     They go on this extensive journey to gather all of these objects; some are lost and have to be found again. Along the way, the audience meets Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood - who encounters the wolf, played by Johnny Depp who played the part magnificently - Rapunzel and her love, Cinderella and the prince.


     After a somewhat troublesome three days, they obtain everything they need and the witch makes the baker's wife pregnant. Personally, I thought the movie would end there. NOPE! 40 minutes left! But what is so important that can happen in 40 minutes? Well, I can tell you.

     The baby is born and Cinderella and her prince get married. The whole town gathers in front of the castle for the wedding only to see it crash. Everyone thought it was an earthquake, but it ended up being the wife of the giant Jack had killed when he chopped down the beanstalk. All the characters, but Rapunzel and the two princes, gather to figure out how to stop her from capturing Jack. The baker and his wife split and decide to go 500 spaces in different directions to go look for Jack who has run off to hide. They leave their baby with Little Red.

     Now, this is where my jaw dropped. Mrs. Baker, we'll call her, is about 200 steps in when she meets Cinderella's husband looking for his wife. His charm attracts her and he is able to mesmerize her. Blah, blah, blah they talk and talk and then BAM! THEY'RE KISSING!? Honestly, the prince looked drunk the entire time but the wife! You have a husband and a child! I mean I know he's royalty but! Okay, that was surprise number one, but then the prince leaves and the woman feels a shudder: it's the giant's wife. The woman doesn't know where to go and ends up near the edge of a cliff and isn't able to grab on to the nearby branch. That's right, she dies :'(

     Like? WHAT? I'm the type of person that is completely surprised by things that the rest of the world probably saw coming. If you've seen the movie, did you see this coming? A mother, who just had a child, after going on a massive journey to reverse a curse put on her husband, dies. Okay, maybe some saw it coming, but I didn't. I mean, I didn't see Hans being a backstabber in Frozen, did you??

     Blah, blah, blah, giant is killed, baby is alive, Mr. Baker takes in Jack, Little Red, and Cinderella. Who knows where Rapunzel is. Well, I wasn't too happy with this ending. But then again, I'm the person who really like those lovey-dovey happy ever after endings. Some people may be pleasantly satisfied with this ending, I am not one of them - laughy face emoji.

     I did really love the movie. The acting and graphics were super cool, it's just not the ending I'd love. But I guess not everything is going to turn out the way you want it to!

     Yes, this is probably a very amateur review that wasn't really helpful as I basically gave away the entire movie, but... Thank you if you've read this far, lol.

     If you've seen Into the Woods, please tell me what you thought of it in the comments!

     Thank you for reading and I'll talk to you soon.

*computer hug*

P.S. Thank you guys so so much for your lovely comments on my post about insecurities! It means a lot and I hope I helped in some way. If you want to read it, click here.

2 comments:

  1. I want to see that movie soooooooo bad it looks so good.

    check me out
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Expression

     I find it funny how it has taken me 40 minutes just to customize the template, choose the text colors, and search endlessly for a pict...