Thursday, December 17, 2015

New York Necessities - Blogmas Day 17


Hello love <3

 In just a few hours, my family and I are going to see The Lion King on Broadway! Last time I went to New York, my mom and I saw Mamma Mia and it was marvelous. If you didn't know, I'm currently in New York. My mom, sister, and I spent most of the day walking the streets of the Big Apple and I've compiled a list of the things I thought you would probably want to have with you while traveling through New York, or any place filled with people walking the streets any direction you look.


  • Comfy & Cozy Clothes
 New York can get pretty cold in December, and you want to be ready when that chilly weather hits. Even though, right now, it's more rainy than cold (It's actually quite nice! I prefer this cool breeze rather than negative degrees, which is what NY normally gets this time of year), you want to be wearing things you won't get uncomfortable or agitated in. I carry a pair of gloves and a beanie with me anytime we go outside and wear shoes that help battle the puddles and won't make me feet very sore.


  • Umbrella
 If it's raining anywhere, an umbrella is your best friend. I put away my umbrella for a couple minutes even though it was still raining - I decided to put my hat on instead - and realized how big of a mistake that was as soon as I felt water dripping down my shirt and soaking my jeans.


  • Metro Card
 If you get tired of walking, you can either turn to taking a taxi or the Subway. Taking a taxi will probably take longer than walking to your destination depending on what time it is - NY traffic can get pretty crazy. So, rather than a taxi we have been taking the Subway some of the time. I love the Subway. It reminds me of How I Met Your Mother, one of my favorite shows, and it amazes me how diverse the group of people on each car are; NY is filled with different cultures. You can continue to refill your Metro card so you can continue riding the Subway to different places and get where you want to go in a matter of minutes.


  • Map
 Unless you know New York like the back of your hand, which a lot of natives do, but I don't, a map would probably be very helpful. The numbered streets and avenues fascinate me and make finding your destination an adventure, but having a map handy might make that journey a bit easier.


  • Camera
 New York has so many hidden treasures. Well, now that I'm thinking about it, basically anything you lay your eyes on is photo worthy. Anyway, hidden or not, many of the buildings, walls, and sites of this state are so beautiful and unique. The lights and billboards in Times Square are so big and vibrant they make any day look brighter. You want to have your camera or phone at the ready when you stumble upon one of those billboards, amazing graffiti on a wall, or a unique building.


  • Patience
 My last "New York necessity" is simply, patience. I found that as I was walking my feet started aching (even though I was wearing comfy shoes, walking in any shoe for a long period of time can get annoying), my ears hurt from the honking of cars, rain was dripping down my shirt and on my phone, and I was very annoyed. But then I thought, I'm in New York. Yesterday, I was in school staring blankly at a board, and now I'm in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Even if you feel like it's all getting to much, take a step back and appreciate where you are. Remain calm, contain your anger or agitation, and know that you are lucky to be where you are and your feet aching is a very, very small problem.



 I'm loving New York so far! Tomorrow we have more exciting things planned and I can not wait! I hope you enjoyed reading what I like to have with me while traveling in this gorgeous city. Maybe you could use some of these things the next time you travel!

 Thank you for reading and I'll talk to you soon.

*computer hug*

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go to NYC! Hope you're having a great time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I HOPE YOU HAVE THE BEST TIME EVER LOVE! Seeing the Lion King on Broadway sounds amazing!

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Expression

     I find it funny how it has taken me 40 minutes just to customize the template, choose the text colors, and search endlessly for a pict...